Sunday, August 22, 2010

Opposition to the Construction of the Cordoba Mosque

The debate is waging right now in New York City over the construction of the Cordoba Mosque. The mosque would be very close to what is ground zero or the site of the 11 September attacks on the United States. The Imam of the mosque has said that the building would also be a swimming pool equipped with a swimming pool and a gym. I oppose the construction of the mosque. I do not oppose it for any religious or American Nationalistic temperament. I oppose its construction because the building was almost marked as a New York City landmark to be preserved. This is the camp that I support. Although it was the sight of a Bloomingdale’s store, I do believe that the architecture and the traditional landscape of the city should be protected. I strongly disagree with the construction of modern buildings. I believe the modern skyscrapers are eyesores that rob from the real cultural possibilities for a city.
I believe the construction of a mosque in an area of the city where it is mostly skyscrapers a mosque has no business in there. If they were going to construct the mosque in a place like Astoria, I believe that would be fine. There already is a mosque on Steinway Street to cater to the Moslem population of the neighbourhood. Eventually, I think that if this mosque is constructed, the issue over the construction of minarets may occur. This same issue is being voted on throughout Europe, whether or not to ban the construction of minarets in Switzerland, Belgium and soon other nations.
The other major issue of course, where is the money coming from? Hamas. The Imam who is supporting the construction is a known support of Hamas, a group which I strongly oppose for their opposition to the State of Israel.

No comments: