Tuesday, August 17, 2010

On My Trip to the Bahamas

I have just returned from holiday in the Commonwealth of the Bahamas. I left on 13 August, Juche 99 and returned yesterday 16 August, Juche 99. For the first time in a long time, I traveled out of Islip-MacArthur Airport on Southwest Airlines. I flew into Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport and from there the staff of Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines chauffeured me to the port of Miami, Florida. I sailed out during the evening of 13 August on the Majesty of the Seas, registered in Nassau, Commonwealth of the Bahamas. I was traveling to celebrate my father’s birthday as well as Fidel Castro’s birthday, which was 13 August.
My first destination was the island of Coco Cay. This island is privately owned by Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines. I was disgusted by the fact that a private industry has the ability to own a private island in an independent nation. I do not believe that any private industry has the right to own any land in any nation. It would be my hope that the peoples of the Caribbean will rise up against these resorts and business and liberate these enslaved workers. I began my excursion to Coco Cay by participating in an Ashtenga Yoga class. This class was taught by an instructor from New Zealand and it the class was held on the beach overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. This was a wonderful experience and my second time doing yoga on the beach. The first time was in Siesta Key, Florida. Following the yoga class, I lounged on the beach. For lunch we were served a barbeque lunch, which the people in Fort Lauderdale recommended highly. I was disappointed with the food. For lunch, I ate two barbeque pork ribs, one leg of barbeque chicken, a piece of corn and Caribbean style fried rice. The food was good, but it was certainly not the caliber that the tour guides advertised. I think the best part of the meal was the ribs, because ribs are one of my favourite foods, but I have definitely had better ribs in my life. Following the luncheon, I decided to go back to the ship. On my way back, I purchased a Cuban cigar, of the Montecristo brand. I enjoyed the Montecristo during a bender that same evening where I enjoyed, Caipirinhas, Pina Coladas, gin and tonics and a few red stripes.
The following day I visited the island of New Providence, where I explored the capital city of the Commonwealth of the Bahamas, Nassau. In Nassau, I decided to trek around the entire city, which resulted in lacerations on both of my feet. My first stop in Nassau was Parliament. I was in front of the Parliament of the Bahamas fourteen years ago, when I witnessed activities by the Central Intelligence Agency. An agent of the C.I.A. provided me with a tour of the parliament, and shortly after I presume the same gentleman assassinated the Bahamas Minister of Urban Planning and Development. The people of the Bahamas are still unaware that it was the C.I.A. who assassinated their minister. Following parliament I went to the museum, The Pirates of Nassau. This museum was educational, but certainly a tourist trap. Although it was a tourist trap, I did learn a lot. I think the most interesting fact that I learned was that Captain William Kidd, buried treasure on Gardiner’s Island in New York. After the Pirate Museum, I walked at least 4 kilometres through Nassau to Fort Charlotte. Fort Charlotte was a fascinating military installation. The fort was constructed in an attempt to dissuade pirates, French Privateers and Spanish and American Galleons from attacking Nassau. The British military later expanded Fort Charlotte by adding two additional adjacent forts. These forts apparently were never attacked by a foreign power, however the British designed a unique weapon. The British developed the use of the hot-shot cannon. The hot shot cannon, is when the military will heat the cannons to temperatures so hot, that when the cannon is fired, the ball will ignite a ship upon impact. It has been said that the hot-shot can ignite an entire ship from 2.000 yards away from Fort Charlotte. Following my visit to Fort Charlotte, I jumped into the beach in front of the fort where I enjoyed a pina colada overlooking a coral reef on a pier. I then went to the Linden O. Pindling Centre, which is the headquarters for the Progressive Liberal Party, the political party that I affiliate myself with in the Bahamas.
The people of the Bahamas were incredibly friendly. I was able to meet many real people from the Bahamas by traveling the roads less traveled. I met several wonderful men, women and children and I have become very fond of the Bahaman people. I hope the Commonwealth of the Bahamas continues to prosper, however the conversations that I had with the locals indicated that they are not happy with the current government led by Hubert Ingraham. It appears that my comrades and the opposition Progressive Liberal Party will fare well in the elections scheduled for 2012.
The food on the trip was delightful. For dinner, I enjoyed the privilege of having an appetizer, entrée, and a desert. My favourite of each was a raspberry-strawberry soup, a lamb and a raspberry/blueberry/strawberry puree. My least favourite of each was a dish of escargots, a steak and a raspberry puree with an almond cookie. I enjoyed the taste of the snails, my only complaint with that was it was drenched in butter, a substance which I do not enjoy. When exploring the city of Nassau, I enjoyed Conch fritters, made from the conch snail. I went to the restaurant the fish fry, which according to my PLP supporting taxi driver is the place where all the local Bahamans eat their conch fritters.
Like all voyages though, this one had to come to an end. I flew back to New York via Baltimore Maryland, once again on Southwest Airlines. The flight was quite enjoyable compared to other flights that I have traveled on. I was easily able to exit the flight and the captain even made a joke. My trip to the Bahamas was extremely enjoyable and I certainly have more respect, appreciation and love for the Bahaman people.

No comments: