Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Flagellation of Fra Filippo Lippi

Since Reading, “Stasi: The Untold Story of the East German Secret Police”, I have been reading “The Art of the Renaissance” by Peter and Linda Murray. This was a book that I had been assigned to read in College, specifically for my Art of the Renaissance Class taught by Professor David Smith at the University of New Hampshire. It has been interesting to re-read this old text book, especially since it is unlikely that I thoroughly read the book the first time. The most interesting fact that I read about thus far in “The Art of the Renaissance” is the fact that Fra Filippo Lippi, the Renaissance painter was placed on the rack and tortured. The artist was placed on the rack because funds that his assistant had earned had disappeared and since, Fra Filippo Lippi was paying his assistant he was deemed responsible. I think out of all the possible crimes he had committed, misappropriation of funds was the least of his concerns. Fra Filippo Lippi broke his monastic vows and not only had a wife but even had a child, which I think the Roman Catholic Church would be in fumes over this issue.
Although since reading “The Decameron” by Giovanni Boccaccio, I am not surprised by many things Renaissance monks did. My favourite tale in the novel regards a montseignor who smuggles a girl into the rectory. Of course, another brother sees what the montseignor is doing and also begins to engage in intercourse with the young woman. The chapter is certainly a great laugh. Although, one of the most infamous prelates of the Roman Catholic Church was of course Cesare Borgia, who was infamous for murder, womanising and other dastardly acts. Machiavelli wrote “The Prince” in his honour.
I do not think that Fra Filippo Lippi deserved to be placed on the rack for the alleged crime. Although he did survive and continued to create incredible works of art, I think that excommunication may have been a more appropriate punishment.

No comments: