Sunday, July 18, 2010

Review of Inception

Yesterday 18 July, Juche 99, I saw the film “Inception” starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Ellen Page, Ken Watanabe, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. The movie is about a man named Cobb (DiCaprio), who essentially steals dreams from people along with a team of people. He teams up with a Mr. Saito (Watanabe), who is a Japanese businessman. Following the death of his business competitor, Saito wants Cob to enter the mind of his competitor’s son, Andrew Fischer (played by Cillian Murphy). It is Cobs job to enter the dreams of Fischer in order to break Fisher’s business empire.
I enjoyed the movie, however I did not think it was as incredible as it was made out to be. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give the movie a 7,5. I think Joseph Gordon-Levitt, made the best performance in the movie. For me this was a nice surprise seeing him play a more dramatic role, as I am only used to seeing him in the hit television show, “3rd Rock from the Sun”. Another nice surprise was seeing Lukas Haas, who played the boy in the 80’s classic “Witness”. I thought the idea for the movie was brilliant, not many movies are made about dreams and I found the idea of a man being able to tap into my subconscious to control my mind was incredible and original. I was disappointed however that the movie was not quite as surreal as I had hoped it would be. I did not see any of the trailers prior to watching the film, but I had heard that the movie was supposed to be especially surreal. As the movie went on any surrealist images or ideas were gradually replaced by special effects. I’m not impressed by special effects while watching a movie, as a matter of fact; I think special effects actually ruin movies because it makes movies less artistically valuable. There was nothing in script that stood out to impress me, the script was what you would expect, but there was not one significant thought producing line.
My movie experience was a good one. Although due to being a proud member of the proletarian class, my funds were limited. I went to the Regal Cinema in Union Square in New York City. Since this was likely to be the best summer movie thus far, it was sold out for 3 hours. I went to see the film at 18:00, but I was unable to go to a showing until 22:20. My flat mate and I went to the Heartland Brewery, across the street from the theatre. At the Heartland Brewery, I enjoyed an Angus Beef burger, with fries and a pickle. To wash it down, I enjoyed a Heartland Brewery Cornhusker Lager and a Farmer John’s Oatmeal Stout. Both beers I thought were delicious, the hamburger was excellent also. I did think the burger was a little too small, it was delicious. Following a trip to the Heartland Brewery, we went down to Greenwich Village to our usual watering hole, at least in the village, which is The Peculiar Bar. At the Peculiar, I enjoyed a few Newcastle Brown Ales. We finally made our way to the theatre, where upon arrival we had to wait in line for 15 min in order to get into the theatre. There were too many commercials prior to the show. During the coming attractions, I was overjoyed, when the cinema showed a trailer for the new M. Night Shyamalan, the entire audience proceeded to laugh at the trailer, already knowing that the film would be garbage. I believed the best trailer for the film was, Piranhas, which is a cheesy disaster movie starring Christopher Lloyd and Richard Dryfuss. I also enjoyed still being able to use my Regal Crown Movie Card. All in all, the experience of the day was much better than my experience watching the movie. Inception gets a 7,5 out of 10.

No comments: