Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Reminices of the Philippines

I have just returned from a trip to Manila, Republic of the Philippines. This trip was certainly an interesting one. I was very pleased by the experiences I had with the people in the Philippines. I flew on a Delta flight from New York-John F. Kennedy Airport to Tokyo-Narita Airport, where I connected on another Delta flight from Tokyo-Narita to Manila-Ninoy Aquino International Airport.

I arrived in Manila at about 3:00 am on Monday the 20th of September. I stayed at the Trader’s Hotel in Manila, which had a view of Manila Bay. After arriving, I briefly slept and then went out to visit the city. I visited the Intramuros Area of the city of Manila, which is the old Spanish neighbourhood. I walked around the baryo, which was very beautiful. I enjoyed walking around visiting Fort Santiago, The Manila Cathedral and Saint Augustine Cathedral. After Intramuros, I walked around Manila visiting the city hall and the Malacanang Palace, where current president Ninoy Aquino lives. After traveling around this area, I visited the American Cemetery which contains the graves of the American and Filipino Servicemen who gave their lives during the Great Patriotic War. I thought the cemetery along with the monument to the deceased soldiers was very moving. I actually think the American Cemetery was my favourite part of the trip. After this I went to Makati City, the major financial district of Manila, where former first lady Imelda Marcos lives and serves as a Congresswoman. I enjoyed a few bars and samples some local food. I really enjoyed, balut, which is one of the Philippines’ most popular dishes. Balut is a steamed fertilised duck egg. I thought the taste was similar to that of a fried egg.

Over all, I enjoyed my visit to the Philippines. I would certainly visit the archipelago again, as much of the history of the islands that I am familiar with is not located in Manila. I would like to visit northern Luzon along with the island of Leyte. I’d like to visit Northern Luzon to see Baguio, which is where former U.S. Governor William Howard Taft Lived along with the Northern most section, which is where Ferdinand Marcos is from. As for Leyte, I’d like to see the battle field of the Battle of Leyte Gulf along with the site of the death of Ferdinand Magellen, who is incorrectly credited with the first complete circumnavigation of the globe.

No comments: