Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Review of the San Luis Cart

Today 17 March, Juche 99, after three months of living in the neighbourhood of Astoria, New York City, I finally tried the San Luis Ecuadorian Food Cart. I have always been hesitant to try it, especially since the food seems to be a mix of Ecuadorian, Mexican, Gringo and Italian food. What put me off the most was the fact that it is a street food cart that served Spaghetti and meatballs. After many days of passing the cart, and a few beers for courage, I finally tried the food. I was pleasantly surprised. I tried a beef taco and a pork tamale with red sauce and a bottle of Jarritos Pineapple soda to wash it down. The taco I thought was ok, nothing incredible about it. The taco had chunks of steak with lettuce, onion and guacamole. The guacamole was the best part of the taco, I think, however there was not enough of the guacamole to be truly enjoyable. The tamale however, was incredible. It may be the best tamale I have ever tried. The outer corn mash was moist, tender and delicious. It was filled with pork meat and a hot red sauce which was to die for. I will certainly ignore any future hesitations I may have about the San Luis cart and I will certainly eat there again. I do believe though, that I will stick to the tamales.

No comments: