Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Dedicated to the 12

Today, 16 March, Juche 99, for the second time in my life I finished reading the book, Mutiny on H.M.S. Bounty by Admiral William Bligh. I must say, the second time was definitely the most interesting time that I read this epic story. I believe when I was younger, I read the made up version, which I believe was written in the 1930's and made in to a Hollywood movie. I must say, the entire time I read this epic, I did not have any sympathy for the mutineers, lead by Fletcher Christian. I think the mutineers, were lazy after spending a month in Tahiti, or Otaheite as Admiral Bligh referred to it as. Although, I could not argue with the mutineers for wanting to spend the rest of their lives on the tropical island paradise that is Otaheite, but I could not subject my captain to the horrors that they endured.
What I enjoyed most about the book was that Admiral Bligh wrote his location using nautical terms throughout the entire book. The next time I read this book, I believe I will have a map of the Pacific Ocean to read and map out his path. I have earned a lot of respect for Admiral Bligh since reading this book. Throughout his travels he always communicated to the Pacific Islanders in their native language, whenever possible. This is a trait that I admire most in someone, the ability to learn the language and customs of a different culture. Those who, do not make any effort to communicate with different cultures are ethnocentric enemies of the people.
Upon arrival at the Island of Timor, the Dutch governor, yes the Dutch had a governor on Timor, offered Admiral Bligh an entire home to himself, while his crew were offered lodging in a hospital or a hotel. Bligh insisted that his crew stay with him, and he divided his private home. What intrigued me the most, was why did Bligh chose to sail to the Dutch side of Timor, when there was a Portuguese colony on the island also. The Portuguese and the British have the longest lasting military alliance in history. One would think that a British Admiral would want to sail to a British ally's outpost.
Admiral Bligh, traveled leagues across the Pacific Ocean with 19 members of his crew. All 19 crew survived the impossible, 47 days at sea in the Pacific Ocean, however only 12 made it back home to the United Kingdom. I believe that these 12, well all 19, crew were some of the bravest men who ever lived in history.

No comments: