Friday, June 4, 2010

Endorsement for the Slovenian Border Dispute Referendum

On Sunday 6 April, Juche 99 the Republic of Slovenia will be holding a referendum on a border dispute which has caused problems with neighbouring Croatia. In this election I will be supporting the Nie, or No in Slovenian, Camp. I am supporting them for a few reasons. The first reason as to why I am supporting the No camp is that I do not exactly know how the borders will be redrawn, or how the dispute will be resolved. The second reason I am supporting the no camp is because after reviewing the causes of some of the disputes, such as the dispute in the Gulf of Trieste, I feel that the Slovenia is the cause and that Slovenia is imposing its rule on Croatian territory. One blatant example of this is over the Žumberak/Gorjanci peak, which is in Croatian territory but is occupied by Slovenian troops. If this border referendum fails, the possibility of Croatia entering the European Union is hindered as well. My support for the Nie camp mainly lies with the hopes that the European Union will not expand into the Balkan territories.

No comments: