Monday, June 28, 2010

Endorsement for the German Presidential Election

On Wednesday 30 June, Juche 99, the Federal Republic of Germany will be holding their presidential elections. These elections have been set in order to see who will succeed former president Horst Kohler, who had stepped down earlier this month. Kohler stepped down following controversial statements he made regarding Germany’s continuous involvement in the U.S. –led War in Afghanistan. The Bundestag will be voting for Kohler’s successor in in-direct elections. Each of the major political parties and coalitions are endorsing their own candidates. The Christian Democrats and the Free Democratic Party has endorsed the governor of Lower Saxony, Christian Wulff. The Social Democratic Party and the Greens has nominated Joachim Gauck, who is not a member of either party. Die Linke has endorsed Luc Jochimsen. The National Democratic Party has endorsed Frank Rennike as their candidate.
In this election I will be endorsing Luc Jochimsen. I am endorsing Luc Jochimsen because he has come out and stated, “That Life in the German Democratic Republic was not cruel.” I firmly agree with this statement. As a matter of fact, if I were able to live in any nation at any particular point in history, I would chose to live in the German Democratic Republic during the 1970’s, under Comrade Erich Honecker. I do consider myself a supporter of Die Linke and I have continually supported the party and their candidates in elections. In this presidential election, I am not at all tempted to endorse Frank Rennike of the National Democratic Party. Rennike is a singer/songwriter who writes songs about Nationalistic German themes. I am not endorsing the CDU/FDP candidate, Christian Wulff because I am not exactly content with the CDU/FDP coalition. Prior to last September’s Reichstag elections, I was indifferent about the Grand Coalition lead by Angela Merkel. I will not be endorsing any of the Social Democratic Party’s candidates in any upcoming elections until they cancel any coalition agreements with the Green’s and discontinue Gerhardt Schroder’s Third Way Policies.

No comments: